Monday, October 24, 2011

Making Bread

We got up at 5 this morning ready to get started with our day.  I decided to make bread because I didn't get to it yesterday.  Here is it raising just before baking.

I chopped onions that we had drying, vacuum sealed them in 1 cup portions for cooking with later on.  I chopped red and green peppers and sealed them also for later use.  I so glad I got that done.  I just couldn't waste them.

We did some winterizing on the chicken coop.  Installed a light on a timer and a coop door.  They had been using the large sliding doors but the temps are suppose to be a lot cooler the next couple of nights.  I gave the girls a pan of yogurt and some boiled eggs, they ate every bit up.  Cleaned out their water and added some apple cider vinegar.  I think they are happy.  They have been able to free range during the weekends and they love it.  When I get home from work, I will let them out until dark.  

The bread turned out lovely.  We had a pork roast with carrots and onions and a side of french cut beans (homemade) with bacon bits.  For desert we had an apple crisp with ice cream.

LJ is our rooster.



Look at those fluffy butts.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carmi!

    Thanks so much for dropping by and leaving your helpful comments! We don't belong to Costco...but do belong to a Sam's Club. Perhaps they too have bulk flour?

    It's so great that you visited me...I actually visited you this morning, but didn't have time to comment...it was 6 AM and I had to get little people up for school. (Our children go to parochial school and start at 7:50 unlike their public school friends that start at 8:50. Doesn't that sound so late!) Anyway, I had planned to come back to visit and comment b/c I loved your breads rising and your chickens!!!

    We currently live in a subdivision, but it is located in a 1-stoplight town in Kansas and our HOA/town allows chickens. I think 2 per home... I'm so excited to check it all out and perhaps get some laying hens.

    Again, thank you. I'm going to start following you b/c I see that you are also a quilter. This is also on my "bucket list". My husband's grandmother is the quilter in our family and she has made us so many beautiful keepsakes. I just discovered 2 quilt shops close to my town and now I'm really ready to learn!

    Have a great Monday,

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete