Monday, February 13, 2012

Eggstraordinary

My hens have finally started producing.  It seemed like it was a long dry spell.  Had it not been for my young laying pullets laying almost everyday, we would have been skunked.  Now of my 15 hens, I have been getting anywhere from 4-9 eggs daily.  When we gathered the eggs last night, we counted 10 eggs. That is an all time high for us.  That means that some of my older hens are laying.  Which ones, we don't have a clue. I'm so glad I talked Doug into culling the end of March.

I think this is great!  I've been selling my eggs faster than I can bring them to work.  This last week I was able to bring in 3 dozen and still have some for our personal use.  This week, I'll probably take in 4 dozen.  I'll find out where the saturation point is for eggs at work.  No matter, I'll find inventive ways to use them if that happens.

For now...Atta Girls!

This post is being shared with the Barn Hop

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, because our girls are molting right now our demand is higher than our supply. I actually had to go to the supermarket and purchase eggs for us to eat because I didnt have the heart to turn down one of our regular customers :/

    Think its time to get more chickens (and I can NOT believe I just wrote that! lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we had several of them molting at once and I wanted to keep selling my eggs. I never bought any but we did go without or took the eggs under 50g. We're looking at culling about 5, but I want one hen to go broody so we can hatch some. We may buy some also, and I can't believe I just said that. :)

      Delete
  2. I love a basket full of eggs! I'm hoping once our girls get into full swing this spring that we can sell some at work as well. Sure would be great to get a little help with the feed. :)

    ReplyDelete